Thursday 6 October 2011

Anna's Cupcakes


This week I was asked by my Italian housemate, Anna to teach her how to bake cupcakes.  I agreed on the condition that she in turn teaches me to cook Italian food, and so a beautiful friendship was formed.

Group decorating is one of my favourite things to do, for some reason the pressure is removed and the motivation becomes fitting as many sugary decorations on top of the cakes as possible. 

With the Meadham Kirchhoff S/S12 show as my last post, timing couldn’t be better.  Their show was all protesting the ways women get coloured with an expectation to be pretty and girly and with all the random decorations I had I felt we could do the same about cakes.   They are always marketed toward women, whenever you see them in stores and cafes they are topped with flowers or glitter, and if you go into the supermarket with the intention of making your our the supermarkets limited decorations are always in pastel colours, and so various influences force cupcakes to be a girl confection.

p.s. my male housemate was the one that ate most of them

There were further accidental coincidences with the MK12 show during the baking lesson.  I put on one of Tavi Gevinson’s playlist from 8tracks, as is becoming a tradition of my baking, and the first song that played?  Miss World by Hole, the same song that opened the runway show!  Then when the baking was finished, we both sat down with big mugs of tea to enjoy our creations, here my Italian co-baker explained; that she felt strange because while decorating and taking photo’s of the cakes she had been very serious but now eating the cupcakes with all their sugar toppings she felt like doing the can-can.  Without knowing she had just related her first cupcake experience with the opening to MK12 show.  Perfect!












Thank you Anna for helping my fill these cakes and picture with happy memories xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment