Friday 7 October 2011

Back to Basics

Having entered the month of Halloween, my favourite holiday, I am already stressing about what to wear for the various costume parties, decorating my room, and cupcake ideas.  My next post will be about my love for all things witchy, but right now I want to revel in the idea of simple baking perfection.

If you watched this season of The Great British Bake-off you will know it was won by Jo, due to her simple recipes with exceptional flavours, rather than Holly with her amazing technical abilities or Mary-Ann with her experimental baking.  Who doesn’t love a Classic Victoria Sponge?  The art comes in making something simple taste exceptional, which I have recently learnt to do in my Italian cooking lessons. 

With chocolate cake just having the chocolate flavour guarantees most people will like it no matter what your baking abilities are, however I have found it to be one of the most difficult cakes to get right, and it’s something I am always trying to improve.  Not to play around with flavours but just to do simple well. 

These chocolate cakes are the best I have produced for a long time and achieve a blog post because of a new accidently method.  When I tasted the mixture just before putting it into the cases it tasted horrible, I was gutted and couldn’t understand why.  Then I realised I never added the sugar, “SHH-UGAR!” I exclaimed, so I added it there and then, and the end, I can’t say I had much faith in them but they were amazing, lighter and better risen then ever before.  Curiouser and curiouser.

This was supposed to be a short post like the old days…but when your passionate about something, simple isn’t always easy to achieve, as my Halloween costume will undoubtedly prove.


No comments:

Post a Comment